Five Lentils Dal is also known as panchmel, or panchratna dal. It is a protein-packed lentil recipe which contains the goodness and nutritive qualities of 5 different lentils or dals. It is not only wholesome but also very delicious. This hearty and nutritious recipe comes from North India and can be made with or without onion and garlic.
- 1 tbsp. Yellow Lentils (Toor, or Arhar Dal)
- 1 tbsp. Whole Red Lentils (Sabut Masoor Dal)
- 1 tbsp. Split Black Lentils (Urad Dal)
- 1 tbsp. Gram Lentils (Chana Dal)
- 1 tbsp. Green Lentils (Moong Dal)
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsps. Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 6 to 8 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 Whole Red Peppers
- A good pinch of Asafetida (hing)
- 2 cloves of Garlic (finely chopped or minced) 🧄
- 1/2 to 1 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 to 2 medium Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- A few springs of Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. to 2 tsps. Ghee (completely optiona)
Nicely rinse the five lentils mixture.
Soak it in water for 30 mins to an hour
Boil it for 5 minutes in pressure cooker with turmeric and salt.
Keep the boiled dal aside.
Prepare the seasoning in a separate pan, on a medium heat.
Add tomatoes, cover the lid, and let it cook on low-medium heat, until nice and tender.
Add all spices (red chili powder, turmeric, and salt) and stir for 5 secs.
Time to add the pre-boiled Dal to it.
Adjust the consistency by adding some warm water.
Cover the lid, and let it simmer. Add garam masala, ghee, fresh coriander, and combine well. Our Five Lentils or Panchmel or Panchratna Dal is all set to serve.
Delicious Five Lentils, or Panchmel, or Panchratna Dal
Served the delicious Five Lentils Dal with plain rice, mango pickle, and cucumber salad It goes equally good with the homemade chapati, roti, or phulka
Though the ghee makes it much tastier but we can always substitute it by sprinkling some homemade dry spicy masala. Incorporating an interesting simple side salad.