Foxnut is also referred as Makhana or puffed lotus seeds. It is a good source of protein, fiber, and micronutrients (calcium, magnesium, iron, and phosphorus). Supports weight loss, blood sugar management, and heart health.
Also rich in antioxidants and anti-aging properties.
Makhana is quite versatile and easy to enjoy in many different recipes. Sometimes roasted and enjoyed as a savory snack or added to curries, or desserts.
Here, I have shared an interesting, quick, and nutritious Chaat recipe using Foxnut as the main ingredient.
- 1 to 2 cups Dry Roasted Foxnuts Or Makhana
- 1 to 2 Persian Cucumber(s) (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Green Chili (finely chopped)
- 1 to 2 tbsps Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Lime or Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
Finely chopped veggies ready to create an interesting Foxnut Chaat.
Dry roasted Foxnuts (microwaved for about 5 minutes)
In a mixing bowl take a handful of crispy Foxnuts.
Add onions, cucumber, and tomato to it.
Add the spices as per your preference.
Add fresh coriander chutney.
Combine well and serve immediately. Lemon juice as per our preference.
Notes: As foxnuts are so very favorite to me, I always try to create new recipes with it. This one is kind of a salad with chutney. We can use any sweet, savory, or sweet and sour chutney with it. Make sure to assemble it only right before serving. May add pomegranate arils for a festive touch.